Are you happy? How do you know? Have you thought about it lately? What does it mean to be happy? How do we measure happiness? Hunt for Happiness Week is a time to reflect on aspects of our lives to determine if our happiness is at full strength or if our lives need a tweak. Here are some things to consider when assessing your personal happiness level.
- Do the people in your life bring you joy? Friends, family members? If not, it may be time to assess your personal relationships and set new boundaries.
- Does your job make you feel complete? Do you feel like you are where you should be in your career? Are you supported at work? Is it a healthy work environment? Do you feel satisfied with the outcome of your work? If not, it may be time to consider a new career path.
- Do you have any kind of spiritual connection in your life? Spirituality comes in many forms. It’s not just religion. But, it is proven to bring peace, calm, focus, a sense of feeling grounded and centered, a feeling of a life of purpose. If you’re feeling like you’re just drifting or spinning, perhaps spirituality might be something to think about. Start with meditation. It’s a great way to center your mind. Waling in the woods is another way to feel connected to something “bigger” than ourselves.
- Do you feel healthy? How is your energy level? Do you have health goals or concerns? Now might be the time to assess your health and make some goals to improve it.
- Do you feel connected? 2020 was a year when many people felt isolated for the first time. Let 2021 be a year of reconnection. If you feel isolated, look for ways to connect to your community. Find volunteering opportunities or groups that participate in activities you like. Try something new!
- Focus more on what you love. Do you have hobbies or interests that make you feel like your authentic self? Have you spent time doing those things lately? If not, this year might be the time to rededicate yourself to the things you truly love. Find yourself again.
- Are you financially where you want to be? If you have debt that burdens you, or your savings account isn’t where you want it to be, consider making financial goals this year. Or, maybe it’s time to pursue a better paycheck or other streams of income. There are lots of ways to make money, from side hustles to investing.
- Choose joy. Whatever you do, happiness is a choice. If you’re feeling like you don’t choose joy each day, then maybe it’s time for an attitude adjustment. Change your perspective. Create a mantra for yourself or spend a little time every day focusing on a positive word or a devotional that will set the tone for your day.
- Check-in with your emotional and mental health. If you struggle with something and you don’t know how to deal with it, it may be time to consider therapy. Living with depression or trauma, or living in an unhealthy lifestyle can be very difficult. You’re not alone. There are lots of resources and support. You have options. Put yourself first.