1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken tenders (or breasts cut into tender-sized strips)
2 cups buttermilk or plain yogurt
1 1/4 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
1 1/2 cups xanthan-gum-free gluten-free flour blend (140 g superfine white rice flour + 47 g potato starch + 23 g tapioca starch/flour)
1/4 cup coarsely ground yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika
2 tablespoons sweet relish
- Place the chicken tenders and the buttermilk in a gallon-size zip bag, and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 300°F. Place the coconut flakes in an even layer on a baking sheet, and place in the center of the preheated oven. Bake until the coconut flakes are just beginning to brown around the edges (about 8 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool briefly before crushing with your hands into small bits. Place the coconut in a medium bowl, and add the flour blend, cornmeal, paprika, salt, and black pepper, and mix to combine well.
- Increase the oven temperature to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper, and place a wire rack on top. If your wire rack is not nonstick, spray it lightly with cooking oil to grease.
- Remove each piece of chicken from the buttermilk, one at a time, and allow to drain briefly before dredging both sides through the flour blend.
- Place on the wire rack about 1 inch apart from one another. Place in the center of the 400°F oven. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, flip the pieces of chicken over and return to the oven to continue baking until crispy on both sides and cooked through (about another 10 minutes).
- While the chicken is cooking, make a Thousand Island Dipping Sauce. In a medium bowl, place the yogurt, mayonnaise, ketchup, salt and paprika, and whisk vigorously until smooth. Add the sweet relish, and mix to combine. Serve the chicken with the dipping sauce.
*Courtesy of www.glutenfreeonashoestring.com