With COVID 19 still affecting our lives, as parents you may be avoiding some of your kiddos usual social and extra-curricular activities this year. A great way to replace those activities in their lives is with new hobbies. There are so many fun things to do with rocks! Since today is National Collect Rocks Day, this post is all about the many fun things you can do with rocks.
- Walk local parks and green spaces looking for interesting rocks. They don’t have to be anything special. Sometimes just a cool-looking rock is enough to pique interest.
- Get a rock tumbler for a home science project. This is a fun way to engage the whole family while learning.
- Get on the local Northeast Ohio Rocks! Facebook page and join the thousands of people who are finding and hiding painted rocks all around Cleveland, Ohio, the United States, and the world!
- Join the Parma Lapidary Club and attend the annual Gem and Mineral Show.
- Create some rock art of your own! See below for the basic steps in painting your own rocks. You can make them to hide in the parks for people to find, or use them to decorate your yard. Have fun!
How to Paint Rocks
Gather rocks from a search in local green spaces or beaches. Or, purchase rocks from a local home improvement store. The best rocks to use are smooth with flat surfaces.
Prep your rocks by first painting a coat of primer. You can use spray can primer or paint it on with a brush.
Once the primer dries, you can begin painting and decorating. Be creative! Let the shape of the rock inspire you. You can use acrylic paint, marker pens, alcohol inks, dotting tools, etc.
After your rocks are dry, protect them with a sealer. You can find spray can sealers for this. Spray and let dry.