Each kit will make 10 to 12 masks. When you’ve completed your masks, return them to Jo-Ann’s to be donated.
Here’s another great resource: https://happydiyhome.com/diy-face-mask/
Many people have started making their own masks. Some are even making them for donation to hospitals and assisted living facilities because there are shortages. If you would like to make your own mask, or make some to donate, here is a simple pattern.
- Go to your nearby Jo-Ann fabric store to pick up a FREE mask sewing kit.
- Go to www.joann.com. Download the pattern by clicking “download PDF” below Print Description on the right.
- Cut 1 pattern piece, on the fold, out of the cotton fabric and lightweight interfacing
- Fold fabric right sides together, matching 9-inch (8-inch) sides.
- Sew along the 9 (8) inch side, using 1/4” seam allowance and leaving a space 3” wide in the center to turn mask right side out.
- Cut 2 pieces of elastic 7 inches long. Insert into the corners of the two open ends of the mask and pin into place. Sew across sides, backstitching well over the elastic, to secure the elastic in place.
- Turn mask right side out and press seams flat.
- Using pattern as a guide, fold up 3 pleats on each side, making sure the pleats are folded in the same direction. Pin into place.
- Top stitch around the entire mask, securing the pleats and closing the opening.