- 10 ounces goat cheese, at room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 5 ounces thick-cut bacon, cut in 1/2-inch thick
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted and cut into quarters lengthwise, or roughly chopped
- Honey, red-pepper flakes, black pepper, flaky salt, toasted sliced almonds or chopped pistachios, for garnish (optional)
- Crusty bread, grainy crackers, endive or fennel, for serving
Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, stir together the goat cheese, cream cheese, lemon juice and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Transfer to a 1-quart baking dish or ovenproof skillet, and spread into an even layer. Bake until warmed through and bubbling, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, then add the dates to the bacon fat in the skillet, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the insides are warm and the outsides blister, about 1 minute.
Top the baked cheese with the dates and bacon, and garnish as you wish. Serve at once.
Courtesy Of The New York Times