CINNAMON SIMPLE SYRUP
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- crushed ice for your glass
- 1 to 2 ounces cinnamon simple syrup
- 3 to 4 ounces cranberry juice
- 1 to 2 ounces bourbon
- 1 to 2 ounces seltzer water
- cinnamon sticks for garnish
- sugared cranberries for garnish or in your glass
Heat the sugar, water, cinnamon stick and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk until the sugar dissolves. Bring the mixture to a simmer and then turn off the heat. Let it cool completely then stir in the vanilla extract. You can make this a day or two ahead of time and store it in the fridge!
To make the drink, fill a glass with crushed ice. Stir together the syrup, cranberry and bourbon. Or, you can shake the syrup, cranberry and bourbon in a shaker for 30 seconds or so. Pour it over the ice.
Top the drink with seltzer and garnish with a cinnamon stick and cranberries if you wish.