1 ¼ lb(s) Brussels sprouts, tough ends removed and halved
4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
¼ cup beer (preferably dark ale)
2 Tbsp grainy mustard
2 Tbsp maple syrup
½ tsp salt
1 Tbsp bacon fat or unsalted butter
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF.
2. In a small bowl, combine beer, mustard, maple syrup and salt.
3. On a large cast-iron pan or high-sided skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
4. In the same pan or skillet over medium heat, sear sprouts cut-side-down until golden brown on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Stir in prepared beer mixture and bacon. Transfer skillet to the oven and roast until sprouts are tender and liquid has reduced about 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, melt bacon fat or butter. Stir in panko and toast until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
6. Transfer sprouts to a large serving platter or bowl and sprinkle with toasted panko. Serve.