It’s both exciting and scary to become a new parent. That first day you bring your new little one home, you want everything to go well. And you may be anxious and not know exactly what to do. It’s a learning process for everyone. September is Baby Safety Awareness Month, so for all of those new parents, here are a few tips to ease some anxiety.
- Make sure that car seat is installed correctly. You should actually do this before the baby comes. Check in with your local fire station if you need help.
- At nap and bedtime, make sure your baby is alone in the crib and on their backs. Stuffed animals and blankies are soft and cuddly, but babies are safest without those items.
- Keep baby’s crib and furniture away from windows. We want to avoid falls or possible strangulation from blind cords.
- Set your water heater to 120 degrees to avoid scalds.
- Install working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on every floor of your home and in all sleeping areas.
Congratulations, good luck and enjoy every moment with that little one!